The Guild of Devonshire Ringers - Ringing Round Devon Newsletter

The Guild of Devonshire Ringers


Newsletter No 58 : June 2005

RINGING ROUND DEVON is the quarterly newsletter of The Guild of Devonshire Ringers, and is circulated free to all affiliated towers.

Any individual members who wish to subscribe should contact Lester Yeo. The cost is £2.50 for four issues (cheques made payable to Guild of Devonshire Ringers).

RRD is also available on line on the Guild's website at, which holds back issues.

Any comments and inaccuracies in articles contained in this newsletter are the responsibility of the individual contributors, and the opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of the Guild.

Items for inclusion may be sent to .

A large print edition is available from the editor. Phone 01363 775989 for details.


The June 2005 edition of Interchange, the newsletter for the entire Devon ringing community, is available here.

Kingskerswell: Open Day

Tower door open for fund raising and publicity

In order to raise funds for the refurbishment of the church clock Phil Stevens and his team decided to run an open day in the tower. It became a joint effort and several members of the congregation (and, of course, ringers from other towers) joined in to make the day a success.

The church was open all day with a steady flow of visitors who were entertained by display boards, raffles and good food (ploughman's lunches or cream teas) not to mention tea and coffee in large quantities. Up the tower visitors were given a guided tour starting with a demonstration of ringing, then a visit to the bells finishing with a trip to the top to sample the view. Fortunately Kingskerswell is a relatively short climb. Then it was back down for further demonstrations and explanations - and, of course, more tea.

The high point for several of the band was the opportunity to ring sponsored quarter peals. Much preparation had gone into this with several visits to other towers to gain experience. Anyway, it all paid off as two very commendable quarters were rung. Congratulations to the three who rung their first quarter peals in fine style.

The afternoon continued with more guided tours and demonstrations then it was home for a well earned rest and a count up. £280 was raised on the day but when sponsorship is all collected it should have raised over £800 towards the £2000 needed for the clock. At the same time it was a good PR exercise and it is hoped that several of the visitors who showed an interest will soon be on the end of a rope. Many thanks to all who helped in any way to make a successful and enjoyable day.

Two Firsts for Farway Ringers!

Congratulations to Sue and Alan Tucker on ringing their first Quarter Peal recently. With Sue on the treble and Alan on the tenor a good quarter of Plain Bob Doubles was conducted by Don Salter at their home tower of Farway. Watch this space for further 'firsts' which are expected in the very near future!

Exeter St Marks

First Quarter for Kate and Oliver

On Sunday 10 April at Exeter, St Mark, Kate and Oliver Tucker rang their first quarter peal. Kate who is 13 and Oliver who is 11 started learning together about 18 months ago but they were not strangers to the belfry before that. Having been dragged along to ringing since the day they were born it might have seemed inevitable that Kate and Oliver would learn to ring but after years of declaring that they would never want to their parents were pleasantly surprised when they actually asked if they could start. Fortunately family tensions have been avoided by Matthew Hilling patiently taking the teaching lead - home life is probably much more relaxed as a consequence.

Exeter, Devon. (St Mark) 10 Apr. 1260 PB Doubles;
Oliver M Tucker 1, Kate N Tucker 2, Lesley A Tucker 3, P Wendy Campbell 4, Matthew J Hilling (C) 5, Graham P Tucker 6.
First Q 1 and 2.

Oliver and Kate in action.

Plymouth Emmanuel: abseiling plans

Swinging for ringing

The intrepid band of Emmanuel ringers intend to abseil from their tower roof at their church fete on June 11th between 2 and 4pm. They would welcome the support of any fellow ringers who may be passing on that day or anyone wishing to sponsor the six volunteer abseilers.

Two ringers, Amy, too young to care and Jill too old and ought to know better, have never attempted such a terrifying feat before. Alena, an experienced risk taker, plans to abseil facing downwards! This very public and flamboyant exercise of fear/daring is part of Emmanuel's on going plans to raise money for the refurbishment of their especially fine ring of eight. Visitors will be amazed at the improvement of the 5th since its rehanging last December.

If you think such actions merit your support cheques payable to Emmanuel PCC Bell Fund will be warmly received.

Future fund raising events include a handbell evening on November 12th Your chance to hear the excellent Lamerton handbell team and for you to try out your own expertise on our handbells. Your support is wanted to help us ensure that our bells are in good order or another 100 years to serve our church and our community.

Thanks, Jill Larbalestier

Association results

Eight Bell Competition held at Widecombe in the Moor on Saturday 23 April 2005

1. Kingsteignton 26
2. Buckland in the Moor 27½
3. Exeter Cathedral 36½
4. High Bickington 42¾
5. Chittlehampton 47½
6. Kingsbridge 54
7. Tavistock 54½
8. Paignton 56¼
9. Chagford 69¾
10. Alphington 108¾
11 Exeter St David's 109¼

Top Ringing Cup to Buckland in the Moor 9½

Minor Final at Monkleigh on 28 May 2005

1st Collaton St Mary 16¼
2nd Drewsteignton 29
3rd Pyeworthy 38¼
4th Lamerton 39¼
5th Holbeton 42¼
6th Down St Mary 52¼
7th Colebrooke 55½
8th East Anstey 59
9th Warkleigh 66

The first and second placed teams qualify for the Major Final at Meavy on 11 June 2005

Congratulations (or commiserations) for all Guild members taking part in our sister Society's annual festivals.

Exeter Colleges Guild: Summer term

Students get excited!

The first weeks of the summer term were exiting ones for the ECG. St. George's Day saw us go where no ECG team has gone before and enter the Devon Association eight-bell competition at Widecombe-in-the-Moor. Having stopped on the way down to get in a last-minute practice (with mixed success) we arrived at Widecombe after a drive through the stunning scenery of Dartmoor.

With most of our team having never rung in a full Devon call-change competition before we were slightly unsure of what to expect but in the event we were drawn late in the day and got to listen to some of the other ringing and absorb the atmosphere before having to ring. When our turn finally came around we acquitted ourselves relatively well, although we may perhaps have been better off ringing up slightly slower. For those of you who don't know, the eight bell competition has a minimum time of 20 minutes; we raised the bells and completed the set changes after about ten, meaning we had to spend a very long time hanging around in rounds before we could lower them, and then spent longer than normal chiming the bells in order to stretch our piece over the twenty minute mark. Considering our relative lack of experience it was a satisfying piece of ringing and we felt we had acquitted ourselves well. While half of the band proceeded to the pub to start the celebrations, the rest of us waited at Widecombe for the results. In the end we performed rather better than we (and everyone else) had expected. While we came last we were only half a fault behind Alphington, who are an experienced and established eight bell band and I believe that this represented a very credible performance.

The very next weekend saw another event as we went on our annual outing with the Bristol University ringers, this year held around Taunton. The day started at the fine eight at Milverton where some excellent Stedman and Bristol were rung. The second tower of the day was Ash Priors, a pleasant six in a ground floor ring. Again the ringing was of a generally high standard ranging from call changes to surprise minor. The third tower of the day, and the last before lunch, was the heavy eight at Bishop's Lydeard. The bells were slightly more challenging than the preceding towers but exceptionally rewarding with it. Whilst signing the visitor's book we discovered that the tower had been on a previous ECG/UBSCR tour in 1997, when some recent ex-members, including the webmaster, rang. Bishop's Lydeard was also the venue for the now traditional sight of Rusty hanging from the end of a rope trying to pull the tenor off. Ringing at Bishop's Lydeard was swiftly followed by lunch in the pub next door. After a very relaxed break for lunch we proceeded to Staplegrove (although sadly we had no time for the nearby cider farm). Staplegrove were a rustic but enjoyable ground floor six where the ringing was again of a good standard, some particularly good Stedman sticking in my mind.

The final two towers of the day were both in Taunton. The first was Holy Trinity, a four hundredweight six with a particularly interesting access. Since the tower was too small to take many people, most of us had to sit downstairs in the fascinating church, waiting our turn and socializing. Again the bells were sweet-sounding and surprisingly easy to handle considering their weight. The final tower of the day was St. James, overlooking the cricket ground, although Essex had wrapped up a nine-wicket victory over Somerset by the time we started ringing. That was rather lucky, as the challenging bells combined with the very early start produced the least satisfying ringing of the day. Fortunately the next stop after Taunton was the Winchester Arms in Trull, where the food was exceptional and came in generous portions and the skittles was as entertaining as ever. For the first time in three years the gnome wasn't broken (although this may have been because we 'forgot' to bring it). Due to the arcane scoring method we were using I don't remember who won, but after all that isn't the point. For the most part the day was graced with some beautiful weather and the picturesque villages and scenic countryside of western Somerset provided the perfect backdrop for a very enjoyable day.

Away from society events, James Whittaker scored his first quarter in hand and his first quarter of Cambridge Minor (on the same day!) and the handbell ringers have continued their rapid progress scored too many firsts for me to list here, including the first peal of an odd-bell method in hand by the society and a first handbell peal inside for the master.

Dominic Meredith

Reflections on the year

Guild Master Richard Shere reflects on his term of office

I have enjoyed my year as Guild Master attending over thirty different Guild events meeting up with friends old and new. It is very encouraging to see the number of Peals and Quarters being rung for the Guild at such an all time high. However it is sad to note that only a few Sunday Service bands ring any method regularly on Sundays with the norm being Call Changes.

On an encouraging front it is good to see the link with the Devon Association getting stronger with many Guild members taking part in Devon Association competitions, something which would have been unheard of thirty years ago. Perhaps one day the Devon Guild and Devon Association may merge into one organisation? I dream on!

The Guild Quarter Peal week has now become a regular feature in the Guild calendar with thanks to Janet Coles for the organising. Perhaps it is now time to start an Annual Guild Peal week with the aim to get as many different Guild members as possible attempting a Peal?

Note: The Guild Master, who serves for only one year, is elected from the floor of the AGM by virtue of the contribution she or he has made to the Guild and to ringing in Devon.

North East Branch: outing to Lundy

Rope break threatens quarter attempts

On our arrival on Lundy, the sky was overcast and threatening. We walked up the steep track from the jetty in a grey drizzle, but this didn't stop us enjoying the scenery, bluebells, and many other flowers.

As the ground levelled out the granite church stood sombre against the grey skies. The next stop at the Marisco Tavern was warm and welcoming. The menu board had a good selection of food, which seemed very reasonably priced. It was tempting to linger!

Next stop, the village shop, again a good selection of groceries and a small variety of nice quality gifts. Emerging from the shop, hey presto!

Warm sunshine, blue skies with soft white billowing clouds. Just the inspiration we needed to walk to the north end of the island. The rest of the afternoon passed very quickly with lovely scenery, Lundy ponies, flocks of small island sheep, grazing the stubby heathland, and larks singing overhead.

The distance was easily achieved in the course of the afternoon. Very soon we made our way back to the jetty and watched a seal diving happily as we waited to board MS Oldenburg. Over all, a brilliant day out - very well organised right down to the last detail.

Lydia German and sister

Yet again, one might say, a NE Branch event saw success snatched from the jaws of disaster. The Committee secretary commendably stormed the ascent to the Marisco to obtain the tower keys, enabling the Ringing Masters to get general ringing underway, not so very long after the Oldenburg docked. Unfortunately a stay broke and the rope jammed, so that it looked as if our quarters would have to fall by the wayside. With Richard from Silverton as the expert lampman (a hand torch) the rope was finally released and attached as it should be. Some call changes on eight revealed no problems, and so our quarters were achieved.

Terry Hargreaves

The plan was for general ringing before lunch and for two quarter peals after lunch, but would we have enough ringers and would they be prepared to ring quarter peals? The ringing masters did a head count before, during and after the journey to Lundy. The conclusion was that we could not manage a ten bell quarter but with some gentle persuasion we might manage one six bell and one eight bell quarter. The timing would be tight for the departure time of MS Oldenburg but it would be possible with some effort.

The gentle persuasion continued right up until a few minutes before the second quarter was due to start and in the vent we rang two really well struck quarter peals with only one or two method errors throughout. Each quarter peal contained a "first", as the following details show:

Lundy, Devon: 21 May, 2005, 1260 Plain Doubles (2m). Pat Hatchett 1, Terry Hargreaves 2, Kath Thorpe (First in two methods) 3, Leslie Boyce 4, Michael Hatchett 5, Brian Samuels (c) 6.

Lundy, Devon: 21 May 2005, 1260 Grandsire Triples. Leslie Boyce 1, Paul Mainwaring 2, Sheila Scofield 3, Michael Hatchett 4, John Kape 5, Terry Hargreaves 6, Matthew Weighell (c) 7, Jim Vellacott (First on eight) 8. Rung to celebrate the 70th birthday of Alan Spear (Cullompton), and 80th birthday of John Mears, father of Sheila Scofield.

We also made it to the jetty in time for the journey back to Ilfracombe.

Mike Hatchett

Touches for Guild Eight-bell

Branches again have a choice of two methods for the Guild Eight Bell competition, due to take place in October in East Devon. Both methods are relatively simple, and one is very well known, to say the least.

As the purpose of the competition is to extend the range of methods rung by the Guild, it is to be hoped that as many branches as possible are already practising Single Court Bob Triples!

252 Single Court Bob Triples

752346 B
357246 B
623574 B
526374 B
435267 B
234567 B

252 Grandsire Triples

762453 S
357246 S
643725 S
256374 B
762543 S
347256 S
653724 S
246375 B

St Mark's Exeter

Fundraising continues apace

Enjoying a glass (or two) of wine at the St Mark's wine-tasting

The fund raising for two new trebles at St Mark's Exeter continues at full pace. A very enjoyable wine tasting evening was held on Saturday 12 March in the church hall. There were 55 wine drinkers plus Peter Bill and his team doing all the serving. The aim of the game was to guess the grape type, description and country of a total of 8 wines. A list was provided so it was a bit like multiple choice... not as easy as it sounds! As the evening progressed, the noise level increased in line with the alcohol consumption and everyone went home happy. The total profit for the evening was over £385.

Recently, during a peal attempt on a Monday evening the 7th clapper parted company from the bell! It turned out that the bolt had completely sheared in half. Through a fantastic bit of coordination, the clapper went with Pauline Champion to Reg McKenzie who then took it to Nicholson Engineering the following day. It was repaired that day and then brought back with Reg to Pauline who passed the clapper to Graham Tucker at a quarter peal on the Tuesday night. He then delivered it back to Matt Hilling on the Wednesday morning who with the help of Ian Campbell fitted it on Wednesday lunch time in time for the practice night that evening. Impressive! Thanks to everyone involved, especially Nicholson Engineering for doing the repair so quickly.

On Saturday 1st October we shall be holding another tower grab day - this time based on a circular route in the Torquay/Totnes/Buckfast area. We haven't yet finalised the towers, but an advert will appear in the Ringing World in early September. Either individuals or complete bands are welcome. Refreshments will be available throughout the day and sandwiches/cakes will also be on sale. Please keep the date free and join us for a fun day out!

Further information and updates can be obtained from our website at

Points from peals

The Guild passed the 4250 mark in April, only 18 months after the 4000th peal in October 2003. The first peals of Grandsire Caters and Treble Bob Royal have been rung on handbells. Handbell ringing has been a very neglected part of our art over the last twenty years, so it is very good to see such progress being made. When is the first of Surprise planned, Matthew?

Robert Brown rang his 1000th peal at Bovey Tracey on 12 March, becoming the third Devonian to reach this milestone. Robert learnt to ring at Emmanuel, Plymouth, in the early 1970's under the watchful eye of Jack Sims and rang his first peal at Wembury in September 1976. His 500th peal came up in January 1996, so you can see that the second 500 came up at twice the rate of the first 500. He conducted 125 of his 1000 peals and rang them in 496 different towers. I hope to be able to provide you with more information about Robert and his 1000 peals in the next edition.

Reg McKenzie is to be congratulated on ringing the tenor at Exeter Cathedral to a peal of Yorkshire S Maximus - a mighty achievement for a chap over the age of sixty. Rusty Hartley continues to work her way through the standard eight Surprise Major. Andrew Digby rang his first of Maximus (Newgate) at Solihull and the Guild rang its first sixteen-bell quarter on the same day. Another first for the Guild was a peal of Triples and Major - the methods being Bristol and Stedman!


NE Branch: competition

St Paul's win St Peter's Shield

This year's competition was held at Kentisbeare on Saturday 23rd April. All towers within the Tiverton and Cullompton Deaneries are invited to enter, and ring either 240 changes of a Doubles method or a minimum of ten minutes' call changes.

We were pleased to have Matthew Hilling as judge, and seven teams took part.

The results were:
1. Tiverton St Paul 31 faults
2. Tiverton St Peter 43 faults
3. Silverton 48 faults
4. Bampton 50 faults
5. Cullompton 56 faults
6. Uffculme 76 faults
7. Halberton 85 faults

South West Branch Outing

Branch needs welly in Cornwall

April 9th ... perhaps you were thinking about the Pope's funeral or maybe the marriage of Prince Charles and Mrs. Parker-Bowles. We on the other hand, in the South West Branch, were having our Ringing Outing, organised by David Pike, to six towers in Cornwall.

We had a very good response totalling about 18 people, during a lovely sunny but chilly afternoon. A nice easy start at one o'clock at St. John's only three bells, but those who did attend, found them fun to ring.

Most people turned up to St. Julian, at Maker, with its lovely views of Plymouth Sound and surrounding countryside. We were very pleased that our Chairman, Geoff Hill, put in an appearance, after his heart attack (22 January 2005). We wish him continued good health and return to regular ringing soon.

St. James at Antony was next, ground floor ring very nice sound; even if some of us found the bells a little deep set and needed a bit of welly to pull off!

From there we went to St. Germans, (ground floor) really lovely (8) bells, long draft, and coils not being a favourite for a few less competent ringers!

The last two, St. Stephens by Saltash and St. Nicholas were popular towers for most of the group. A variety of methods were rung, from call changes, Bob Doubles, Grandsire, to Stedman Triples, Cambridge Major and London. In the evening some ringers went for a meal to round off an enjoyable afternoon.

Thank you David, for organising a very good afternoons ringing. We were very pleased to be able to give a donation to Emmanuel, Plymouth towards their bell fund. Towers represented were : St. Andrews, Emmanuel, Laira, Lifton, Stoke Dameral, Tavistock, and Whitchurch.

Zonnie Freestone

Exeter Branch: Train outing

Something for everyone

A classic Taylor ten, a mini ring, a ride behind a Bulleid Pacific, a romantic ruined castle, London Royal, St Simon's Doubles, a pub with good food, real ale and a view, there was something for everyone in the Exeter Branch train outing on May 2nd.

And the Isle of Purbeck is the perfect venue for a ringing outing, with six towers close together, all very different, and each with something to offer in its own way. A coach was needed to take the party from Crediton and Exeter to Wareham, a delightful walled town where some found the teashop (or at least the toilets) more immediately attractive than the ten bells in the tower.

A Standard Class 4 locomotive was waiting in Norden Station, although the Swanage Railway had forgotten to allocate the reserved seats. However, despite the fact that it was Bank Holiday, there was plenty of space, although Michael Cannon had to hitch a lift on the footplate. The two Swanage towers were available simultaneously, with ringers wandering between the heavy old fashioned eight in the parish church and a modern 10lb six in Martin Hough's conservatory. For many this was their first experience of ringing on such small bells. Howard Egglestone was heard to say, "I don't do mini-rings".

After lunch, the branch reboarded the train and travelled behind 'Eddystone' as far as Corfe Castle, a recently refurbished six, in a delightful village nestling in the shadow of the magnificent castle. It was a short walk to the pick-up point, and a journey by coach to Kingston, where parking proved something of a problem, but the ten bells were not. The final tower was Worth Matravers, a shrill six recently augmented from three, in a stunning little Norman church. Special dispensation was required to take the coach into the village, and Carl, the driver, waited in the bus stop during the ringing, hoping the service bus would not appear.

No ringing outing is complete without a pub, and it was warm enough to sit outside in the garden of the Scott Arms in Kingston, with a pint or two and a plate of food before returning to Devon.

Branch members prepare to board the train at Norden

Doings in Devonshire 2

From the Bell News of October 1895

Canon Coleridge recalls a peal tour in Devon at the end of the 19th century. In the last instalment he expressed indignation at the peal fee of half a crown at St Marychurch!

The tax having been paid, Superlative Surprise was begun, a rare good peal being brought to a successful ending, amid the applause of local practitioners outside. A few minutes wait at the station gave the ringers an opportunity of visiting the lovely grounds of "Glencarnock", by invitation of Lady Macgregor. The stiff ascent tried the wind of the men, but they soon gained it again as they stood on the lawn enraptured at the enchanting vision of Torbay over the trees below. Of many pretty bits of scenery viewed during the week, this certainly was the best-in vulgar parlance, "took the cake".

Charles Church

A quick run by the "Dutchman" to Plymouth soon brought us to Charles Church, where the locals appeared in force, headed by the Vicar, the Chaplain of H.M.S. " Impregnable", and that evergreen veteran Mr. W. Banister. "Hard labour" was the order of the day, Stedman Triples the method, but 13/4 hours proved quite sufficient, the bells being in bad order, but not quite as bad as the noble peal of ten at St. Andrew's. which are unringable. The Plymouth and Devonport branch of the Guild were the hosts at supper, Mr. Kelly at its conclusion saying that for some reasons he was glad the peal had not been rung, as if it had been, there would have been no chance of their bells being rehung.

The Rev. J.M. Clarkson who has one bell taken from the Spaniards at Cape St. Vincent, on the "Impregnable", said that if the day's proceeding put the bad state of the bells before the authorities, much good would have been done.

Mr. W.H. Marsh also spoke, after which the ringers were accompanied to the station and despatched for Plymton (sic) for the duties of the morrow, with cheers which reminded one at least of the party of the farewell accorded to the Marines as they departed for the Egyptian campaign.

Plympton St Mary

Thursday morning saw the band assembled at Plympton St, Mary parish church, with its noble tenor of 30cwt., one and all agreeing that she was the finest bell ever heard; the local prophets averred that the bells could not be rung for even one hour by only eight men, the 7th and 8th having double ropes and four men to ring them. The bells, however, were tackled single-handed, Mr Washbrook on the 7th and the Rev. G.F. Coleridge at the tenor, with the strapping ropes removed. A grand peal was the result, the striking throughout being magnificent. Mr Nathan Pitstow stood out, but taking up his position on a granite-clad hill, had his eyes and ears delighted with the fair view and musical rhythm of the bells. This peal might have come to an untimely end; the Vicar, the Rev. J. Mercer Cox, was so delighted with the ringing, that he proceeded to ascend to the belfry to shake hands with the ringers and congratulate them. Mr. Kelly, however, catching sight of him on the way, luckily prevented him from carrying out his well-meaning designs. Hearty congratulations were forthcoming from many who had listened to the peal, the chief prophet of the morning being well to the fore, but consoling himself with the reflection concerning the tenor man, "leastways, he've got a wet shirt, hur hev."

Plympton St Maurice

At 5 p.m. Plympton St Maurice was the rendezvous. Here an easy job was expected, the bells being light and the trebles being recently hung. It proved, however, a far harder task than that of the morning; only by indomitable pluck were the vagaries of the 2nd and tenor overcome by Mr. Washbrook and the Rev. F.E. Robinson, a peal of Double Norwich resulting, which, considering the awful condition of the bells was very fairly struck. The rev. gentleman here came in for high praise from the local talent: "How thic old gent can hurng tenor wance for dree hours, us can't mind; us rings for dree minutes an us drips, us dew." The reputed weight is 14 cwt.; Mr. Robinson, however, averred it was three tons. Entertained at supper by the local band, headed by the vicars and churchwardens of the parishes, together with Mr. Woolcombe and his sons, whose arrangements met with warm praise and gratitude at the hands of the visitors, rest was sought at a late hour, after may kind things had been said on both sides.


A ten-mile drive the following morning behind a clipping pair of grays brought the band to Revelstoke, a romantic spot over-looking an arm of the sea, with Plymouth Sound in the distance. This glorious church, build and beautified with the richest carving and decoration, at the expense of Lord Revelstoke, at a cost of over £30,000, was found to contain a ring of bells in entire keeping with the sacred edifice. Here, however, the churchwardens levy a tax of five shillings on all bands who come to ring. The Vicar, who came to welcome the hand, had to listen to some strong remarks on the subject but took refuge in the fact that the parish had become a very poor one, and that funds had to be raised in some way to keep up the fabric. Though the bells were good, the ropes were bad, being cut off short, a bad business for sore hands at the end of a week. Stedman was attempted, but after two hours' good ringing resulted in a change-course. If we seek a cause we should attribute it to the over-hospitality of our Plympton friends, the many good things, including "zider and crame", certainly affecting one or two of the band, and making them liable to change course, a proceeding which lost two peals on the following day, the first a peal of Superlative at Thorverton, a perfect place to ring at, and the 2nd at St. Sidwell's, Exeter.

"But stap, I be hurning off," as a Devonian would say. We have to take leave of Revelstoke, and tide being out cross the estuary on stepping stones, and visit Newton Ferrers, standing out conspicuously on the other side of the coombe. Here lunch was provided by the Rev. C.B. Yonge, after which 720 Kent Treble Bob was rung on bells in perfect order, but with ropes cut to the exact length of each individual ringer, with the inevitable knot at the end to prevent them slipping out of the hand. Then the Vicar, a former student at Wells, took the treble, and the Rev. M. Kelly, formerly curate, the 2nd and a 6-score of Grandsire was rung.



on Saturday 25th June 2005
at Aylesbeare

2.00-3.30pm Open training sessions:
a) 6-bell at Clyst St George
b) 8-bell at Clyst Honiton

Each workshop will be run on an informal basis by an experienced leader, supported by a band of competent helpers, and will be open to all members of the Guild. In particular they are aimed at those who wish to practise something that they might not normally have the opportunity to do in their locality.

Please indicate interest by contacting the Education Officer, Tim King, or the Guild Secretary, Wendy Campbell,

4.00pm Ringers' Service at Aylesbeare followed by tea at the Village Hall and Guild Annual Meeting

(Nominations for Guild officers may be made in advance, in writing to the General Secretary, indicating proposer and seconder and the candidate's willingness to stand. Further nominations may be made from the floor of the meeting, as must all proposals for the Guild Master)

Evening ringing at Aylesbeare (until 8 p.m.)

Names for tea (£3.50) to Liz Slade NO LATER THAN Monday 20th JUNE PLEASE

Disclaimer - please read

Pages formatted by Ian Campbell and hosted by The University of Exeter

Updated 13/6/2005